Barnegat Light Historical Society and Museum
The Schoolhouse Records
A feature of the Barnegat Light Museum has been a book of "School Records," dating back to the early 1900’s. The book contains typewritten copies of the original pages that were written in pen and are kept in our archives.
The original School Records Journal runs for 252 pages from September, 26, 1902 to November 9, 1908. The Record begins when school sessions took place in one of two little houses on Third Street in Barnegat Light.
Page 1 of the Record clearly states its purpose: "It having been decided that a weekly school record of Barnegat City school be kept, herein will be found the items which such records should or may contain."
Every week a student was selected to record the events of the week, including the weather and attendance for the week, anything new in school work, social news and national news, and a quotation. A glance at the original documents shows the high quality of the students’ penmanship.
A story about them was written in the Beachcomber by Peggy Lewis on July 3rd 1975. Subsequently they were typed up and put on display.
Original Handwritten Record
**The Schoolhouse Records will soon be available on a CD.**