News and Events
- In June 1914 a parade of 100 automobiles drove
across the newly built causeway to Long Beach Island and continued south to
the Engleside Hotel in Beach Haven, celebrating the opening up of LBI
to a broader population. On Saturday, June 21th, a caravan
of classic and antique cars traveled from the Barnegat Light Museum to Beach
Haven in honor of the 100th anniversary of that event.
- Our Annual Dinner was held on June 22nd at the
Manahawkin Holiday Inn The guest speaker was Rick Bushnell, who made a
forceful and informative presentation of the "Reclam the Bay"
- The Wine and Cheese Reception at the museum will
be held on August 24th from 4:00 to 7:00 and is open to all visitors.
- Last year we made a few more changes and improvements to
the museum. Visitors to the museum increased almost threefold in the last
few years, and our
membership is now at 212.
- Our Lifesaving Mortars were reconditioned and mounted
on pedestals. The schoolhouse bell was installed in its new enclosure in
front of the museum and new steps were installed, replacing the old concrete
- A large screen TV slide show featuring over 100 pictures of the
history of "Barnegat City" and numerous historical
videos was installed, made possible by a
grant in honor of Howard Worner.
- A new decoy display was loaned to museum from
- Our paintings and photographs are now labeled for easier
- Previous member's meetings featured Nancy
Gallimore from the Sandcastle Bed and Breakfast describing a visit to
Rwanda's Mountain Gorillas (the only place in the world where they are
found) ,Carole Bradshaw, aka the
relating the story of the Fortuna, Ray
Miller, describing the art of making shore bird decoys and the
history of shorebird hunting; Jack
Lamping, island historian and nonagenarian, returning to reminisce with
us about life and tourism on old LBI and Richie Kohler
speaking to us about his diving
experience on the German U-Boat off Brielle (from the book SHADOW DIVERS).
- We now have a display at the Interpretive Center of the
Barnegat Lighthouse State Park
- We will participate in the 2014 Lighthouse Challenge on
October 18th & 19th (Organized by the NJ Lighthouse Society)
This is our sixth year. We hosted over 1,500 visitors on
the two days of the challenge for the last five years. The enthusiasm of our visitors was contagious
and all had a good time.
Speaker Schedule for 2014
Margaret Buchholz - speaking on her book JOSEPHINE, her
mother's life from WWI Washington DC to her home in Harvey Cedars
NANCY GALLIMORE - slides and presentation of her
photography and experience photograthing wild animals from around the world.
Polar bears in Canada, eagles and snow monkeys in Japan.
Former student from the BARNEGAT LIGHT SCHOOL will tell
their experience of attending the one room schoolhouse and growing up in
Jeannette LLoyd presentation on the old hotels of Long